Tuesday 12 July 2011

Crew's Log: Andrius, 6-10/07/11


Sailing is like jazz - against the tides, against the wind and no planning!

It’s a long entry. Believe me – you better off with a mug of coffee in your hand.

It has truly been several days to remember: bruised legs, sunburned face, few bums on the head, entire tiredness, shaking legs, no planning - just jazz... no, that's definitely not negative sides, that's was part of the adventure, that's an experience! That's what shapes us to better and more interesting persons! It was hardcore sailing - not a smooth one, not a boring one, not a planned one - that was an adventure with Catweasel ant her Captain Timothy S.A. Rawson!


Very very initial plan was to land in Gatwick and head straight to Portsmouth area to join HMS Catweasel and her Captain on the 30th June.

Just a week before the arrival to UK - I was informed that Catweasel needs some work to be done and therefore expected departure is not until 4th of July the earliest. Well, my meetings in UK were rescheduled and on the 2nd July I arrived to meet my captain to be in Brighton.
While waiting for the departure of Catweasel I managed to attend few meeting back in London, closed the biggest business deal so far this year, clean a few windows in Brighton and drink few beers (Guinness of course!) - but that's another story.

The day came and on wed the 6th of July we took of to Porchester were glorious Catweasel was fixed, improved and put into water. Tim and I met Stewart in marina (Stewart is the guy who knows what's going and but not the one in charge). I was shipped (literally) to the floating pontoon and left alone!

In the meantime guys went to bring Catweasel to the pontoon and all the stuff for round the world sailing. After Catweasel was brought to the pontoon - and here it was – by glorious moment - first foot on the front of the boat. It felt good!

Stewart rows, Tim tries in
vain to start the outboard.
Another batch of stuff from the shore was brought - I start "unpacking and putting everything inside" - it means – throwing (literally) everything inside the boat.

When the last stuff had to be brought to the boat by our small dingy - I saw Tim and Stewart urgently putting stuff out of the dingy back to the shore - dingy was getting water - actually until I left the boat - not sure if the reason for the water in the dingy was discovered. Actually we never used dingy afterwards. Another dingy was borrowed and the remaining stuff was delivered into the boat. Two hours passed and while the tide was high...

Portsmouth's 'Spinnaker Tower'
... my first movement on the boat. We did an “outstanding number” of nautical miles as far as Gosport marina on Wednesday evening. Catweasel was secured to a berth very easily (and I though it's the way it will always be). Discussion started about the next steps - we needed food for the rest of the adventure. At this point our opinion of what and where to eat became different. My plan was to go shopping; Tim's plan was pub first shopping later that day or even tomorrow. However Stewart supported me and after registering at the marina office we went of for shopping. After 9 pm. Gosport is a ghost town. All the way to Morrisons (~20 min walk) we saw one person on the high street... Morrison was closed. McDonalds was not only closed but permanently decommissioned. Smart phones came to the rescue and using our best friend for the rest of the week - GPS - we managed to locate the nearest shop ASDA.

Shopping was done within a budget (5 pounds per person per day). Having a few beers at pub (not me - I was still not feeling well after I had an off Guinness from the night before in Brighton - we approached kebab shop. Stewart and Tim had one big kebab each to take away - I still had my one liter healthy bio sth active yoghurt to drink. Close to midnight we returned to Catweasel and after whole day of excitement - I just fell asleep on my bank in the front cabin of the boat.

Motoring out of Gosport Marina
...and it was the best sleep in the long time! That swinging of the boat is so relaxing and calming. Stewart and Tim were already up and just when I came from the front cabin – I smelled a fresh ground coffee. It was Stewart who brought it from McDonalds. Tim left to get a shower and in the meantime I and Stewart were doing a shopping list for food (and other stuff) for the days to come. While cooking breakfast (really good - Thanks to Stewart) I noticed that Tim actually has moca Espress coffee pot! Ground coffee on the shopping list was added and we were off for shopping. Few hours and we were done (not really following the shopping list). Back at the boat we decided to give a go and take Catweasel to the solent channel. Sails were still not an option so we motored all the way to Yarmouth. It was windy, a bit wet, bumpy but relatively ok (pure my opinion). No sea sickness for me – but after few hours against the waves – I had an experience to use a toilet in the boat. And believe me – that was an experience when all your toilet is moving up and done left to right while you are doing … well what you usually do in the toilet Resume, it’s a bit complicated but manageable. After spraying a bottle of some cheapish champagne all over Catweasel (well it's her first sort of official day to start round the world adventure) we arrived to Yarmouth. "Parking" was an easy as we secured our boat at the end of berth. Registering, showers, chili made by Stewart and we were off to check local pubs. Guinness was good, free wi-fi - the day was finished. 

Moored in Yarmouth
...Friday morning I woke up after another perfect relaxing sleep and after got to the rear cabin - I heard Tim and Stewart talking that we are not sailing today as Gale force 8 wind is expected imminent. Winds were just too strong to continue so another day in Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight. Breakfast was made by me that morning (bacon, eggs and fried tomatoes with bread and butter) and we were off to check the town and ferry schedules as the men who knows what's going on ( =Stewart) had to leave Catweasel and her crew on Friday. We came back to pub visited yesterday to check weather forecast and have a beer (I just had half of my Guinness as the rest was knocked down by myself - see sickness to blame - on the ground I felt wavy and less coordinated). Stewart departed - I and Tim checked a new pub - one beer each and back to the boat. 
The Galley
Dinner -Special minced beef, baked beef and sth else sauce with bread - was served by Quartermaster Gurskis (me). Captain liked it (or that's at least what he told me - at least he ate all that stuff so it shouldn't have been so bad). After dinner we managed to watch 1/3 of the Jurassic park movie and were off to check the remaining pubs in town. Three pubs were visited that night - 4 Guinness drank and back to the boat for another perfect sleep.

...5am. Guinness was processed by my body and nature called to release unnecessary water. As quiet as I could - I went from front cabin to the berth. Tim was sleeping (or at least that's what he looked like). Half awake and probably still a bit drunk I stepped on the pontoon when suddenly heard from somewhere above - "Have a nice journey!". Apparently it wasn't God or Tim so I looked behind and saw another yacht leaving that was parked close to ours. I wished a pleasant journey back and walked to the shore to relieve myself from the Guinness and get back to sleep. Just as I was walking back to Catweasel - saw Tim “dancing” around the boat half dressed. Apparently another yacht rammed ours and Tim was forced to wake up really quickly. Such unplanned waking up is no good for him. Suddenly he had some strange idea that we have to leave (it was still roughly 5am in the morning). Half hour putting stuff back to the boat, eating breakfast (just leftovers from yesterday for myself) having a quick shot of espresso and before 6am we were off the Yarmouth marina. We motored out of the harbor to the open waters, sea was rough but decision was made to bring up sales for the first time.
The Needles
Such a great plan was suddenly forgotten as Tim noticed that main sails halliots (? main ropes) are tided together by another rope. Stewart was blamed for it. Decision was made to undo those ropes but sea became really rough, waves were coming in and decision (again) was dropped. We motored all the way across solent - against the wind but at least tide was in our favor - sort off. See was really rough. Even thou I was bravely standing in the cockpit and motoring, seasickness started to kick in and at one point when I decided to sit down – for the first (and the last time) I fed fishes with the remaining undigested content of the last food I ate. (Guinness and breakfast was to blame of course).

Tim continue to keep saying that in a few minutes when we reach that or another point- waters will get calmer and more relaxing. After 10th such notice and sth like 3 hours of motoring through the rough water - it actually became calmer. With no further a due - we approached the entrance to the Pool harbor. Two container ships were passed by and along the main entrance channel we entered the second biggest natural marina in the world. Tim called one of the berth parking/mooring place/thing office if they have space for our notoriously big 26 foot vessel - confirmation was received and in between red and green markers we entered the main channel (or at least that's what we though we did). At some point while I was motoring and steering - Tim had a strange idea to turn 90 degrees to the starboard side (for those that knows less sailing terms than I do - it's right side of the boat). Few seconds after - engine was still going ahead but the boat was not. We hit the ground. Reverse did not help, even my idea that Tim has to go in front of the boat as far as he could and the weight of the boat will be rebalanced and we somehow move away - it didn't help. Call was made to marina for help. However after 20 minutes - tide started to come and we were free again. GPS logger came to help and we noticed that instead of us thinking being in the main channel of the marina - we actually already were in the North Channel close to the place were we had to leave boat. I bravely steered in the closed harbor - our "parking place" was supposed to be 12A. As we saw it - it was few seconds to late but I still decided to give a go and bravely turned to the left (port side). I managed to hit the pontoon just in the center but it was enough time for Tim get off to the pontoon. After not sure what to do and seeing that in the next few seconds tide will push me towards a million dollars worth motorboat - I got a strange idea to go in reverse. And I did. Tim was left on the pontoon waving hands and shouting "Men what a h*** are you doing?" To be honest - I didn’t know. It was first time doing something similar – apparently steering 26 ft vessel – is somewhat different compared to steering a car. I saw another place for parking and shouted to Tim to run around the pontoon to the other side. He did it and again I hit the center of the pontoon (the initial plan was to go on the left side of it. Not sure how - but we managed to secure a boat in some other spot and Tim went to the marina registry to find out if it was ok - and it wasn't. We had to move Catweasel on the other side of our pontoon. This time we walked the boat and it was just perfect. 9A place was also good.
Moored in Poole
Our boat was "parked" among at least half million dollars worth of yacht on one side and another million worth on the other side and proudly face few million worth vessels on the opposite side of the channel! Catweasel’s blue bottom and yellowish deck a bit different from the other shining white boats parked around...

After showers to put salt off; cleaning; tiding the boat as most of the stuff was aground after rough sea - we were off to town. Beer, shopping for highly flammable liquid for our stove which prevented us from traveling on public transport (apparently highly flammable liquids are not allowed on public transport in UK) back to the boat, short nap, and back to the town for fish and chip and beer. Not very successful fish and chips hunting as we had to walk 5 miles to finally find a pub that serves not only beer but also fish and cheap. Walking wasn't silent - I tried to convince Tim that with his 85 amps batteries running 13 volts he could boil imaginary cattle (2000 watts 230 volts) for just half an hour. Tim was even pulling an idea that it could run for 8 hours. Even a tech text enquiry to my tech friend and his confirmation that - yes it still half an hour did not convince Tim. After 2 hours of such discussion - we finally approached a pub, had fish and chips and few beer each, took a taxi back to the boat and another perfect sleep.

... and the last day on the boat came. We were awake just before 10 am, showers, small breakfast for myself and before 11 am suggested by a "local expert" we left marina. The plan was to sail (actually sail not motor anymore) to the Weymouth were our good friend Peter kindly suggested to come and pick me up as the next day I had to catch a flight from Gatwick (and I did as this entry is being written on the plane). That was the plan anyway. We motored out of the marina to open waters with no incidents and started to put sails on. Even thou I am not an expert - but I think the whole sails up thing has to be done a lot smoother. Tim was running up and back the boat and shouting to release undone one or another rope while keeping boat head to wind. I was trying to execute his order as precise and fast as I could but that head to wind thing was not my thing. Front Gip (?) sail was up after some time and the work on the main sail was started. Long story short - after some shouting; failing to do that head to wind thing and with some help of an ordinary spoon – the main sail was up to; engine off and peace and calmness of the see... Finally!
Under Sail
Sails first time ever and I was behind it - keeping them (or trying to) 45 degrees to the wind and we were sailing. Actually sailing and moving forward. We did first tack. No problem. Seconds one - no problem again... All was good for almost two hours when we looked to the coastline and it hardly changed - in theory we had to move along it against the wind. GPS was brought to help and it showed that our land speed was roughly 1 - 2 knots while sea speed almost 7 at some points. We realized that we are heading not only against the wind but also against the tide. Actually I was a bit suspicious when after putting sail and seeing that a lot of sailing boats were coming towards us from Weymouth side and none with us to Weymouth. If we kept such speed - our ETA to Weymouth was about 12 hours and that is after midnight my dear readers. We decided not to risk (and not to trust any local expert advice from then on) and motor was kicked in; sails down (well putting sails down is another story with a bit of shouting, a bit of sth going wrong, me still not really managing to keep head to wind thing and finally one of the long main (important) ropes dangling on the top of the mast).

Traffic
Against the wind against the tide against and all the other boats we start heading straight towards Weymouth marina. ETA was still like 8 hours but the idea - that tide at some point had to turn around and help us instead of slowing - kept us going. No service on the phone - no way to inform Mr. Woodger that we will be very late to Weymouth (if at all before midnight). We just hoped that he will decide to check our spot thing tracker online and see where we actually are before start driving (and as we later found out - he did). Finally after 6 hours or pure motoring and me staring directly at the sun behind the lever and catching salty sea sprays (that's why I look pretty reddish on my face today) we managed to sail into Weymouth marina. Tim cracked the radio, called Harbor Master and we were good to enter and tide our boat to another one called High Sun, after several minutes of motoring we found it. The instruction was not really clear for me how to actually stare the boat - I just listened to Tim’s command to kill the engine and with Tim on the front of the boat I bravely ramped Weymouth marina/pontoon thing! One command was missing that after killing engine I actually had to turn right in order to come on the side. Bright side - even years to come in Weymouth marina I will still be able to find blue marked dent in it!
Weymouth

Boat was secured, Peter arrived, showers taken, things packed and Catweasel was left. My last Guinness, fish and chips in Weymouth and close to 11 at night we left Weymouth. I decided not to sleep even thou I was really tired but at some point I actually napped in the car on the way to Brighton. However not really possible to sleep when driving with Peter - he does not slow down on round about so some side force waked me up on every turn. Back to Brighton, back to sleep and well amazing week was finished.

It’s a plan (but well again plan is a jazz) to rejoined Catweasel and her Captain somewhere in the Meds later this year. For now – have a safe journey Catweasel and her Captain – Timothy S.A. Rawson!